Experiments with fine art and corsetry

Well the beginning of the year has been a bit of a roller coaster ride so far but things are starting to settle down a bit now, giving me the opportunity to pick up some of the arty ideas I started to develop over the last year... though I should say 'few' years, there are so many things I have planned to start, I've been collecting equipment for new arty experiments for so long and I'm dying to get my teeth in to something the world has never seen before!

I have ideas that have been rolling around in my brain for years, inspired particularly by three artists, Picasso, Dali and Giacometti. I do have a bit of a personal obsession with line and form and a deep seated passion for colour. One of the key phrases in my design journal last year was
'use line to create form and colour to convey emotion'. Giacometti has a stunning range of portraits that are deep and warming with a dark edge to them without being sinister or depressing in anyway, the emotion that he conveys with his use of colour is simple yet effective beyond comparision his limits on shades and tones make his minimal use of highlights absolutely breath taking, seeing a painting in a gallery, you rush up to get a closer look and the image almost disappears, awash with coarse, harsh and stark lines that make up the beautiful soft image that can be seen from further away, there was one portrait in particular that inspired me
the most, I am working on getting permission to post it here but until then I will have to leave you to google to see if you can guess which one it was!

I feel in some ways that I am contradicting my philosophy when I bring Picasso and Dali into this but it's not so much the work that they are famous for that inspired me, more the doodles and workings of developing ideas along with the use of colour in certain aspects and particular elements taken from their cubist paintings. There are tiny details in (what I would call the background) of some of their cubist and abstract paintings that for some reason grabbed my attention more than the over all pieces of work. Picasso did some gorgeous work in earthy, sepia tones with black detail, these were an inspiration to me far too many years ago back in art school and they still stick in my mind and I worry that I will never be able to do these inspirations any justice but art is a journey, if you reach the end of the journey, you won't need to worry about anything much at all! Previously all the work that I have done around this brain worm has been in sketches, paintings and charcoal. It was last year that I started to seriously think about bringing these elements in to fabrics and my corsetry.

I suppose it was the red and black patchwork corset that made me think of it or it was this that made me think of the design for the patchwork corset, which ever way it works, this has to be the point where I decided to combine my old fine art obsessions with corsetry.













One of the first things that I began to wonder about in a fine art perspective to fabrics for corsetry involved what could be created on them. I am still so fascinated by the idea of making a corset in plain canvas and coutil decorating the whole corset in abstract elements inspired by the abstract painters and drawn entirely in Biro.










Appliqué has always been a great fun favourite of mine, mixing textures and colours to create images and patterns.
I didn't think about what I was using here, I just
grabbed some scraps to see how I liked the effect in finer fabrics than I would normally use for appliqué and to
see how I could make it work to decorate corsets.
Quickly playing around I came up with a few elements that could be developed.













Just recently I had the opportunity to examine some Georgian dresses which has been a great inspiration, 1774 is definitely a fabulous era and has a huge wealth of elements that can be worked in to corsets and dresses today and some of those elements can be incorporated in to a fine art approach particularly when it comes to the colour schemes, embellishments and patterned fabrics.












I started to play around with some ideas
with black detail on an ivory brocade back ground.
I have some mixed feelings about the results here, there are some elements that I do really love, possibly not on a Georgian gown but I can see an awesome corset coming out of this. I did an experiment with some more neutral colours and digressed just a little but I will have to show you the results of that tomorrow!



Bound By Obsession corsetry

0 comments:

Post a Comment

visit the website

About this blog


Whether you are shopping on my website or on my Etsy shop, I needed a way to catalogue and display a large number of the fabrics that I have available for corsetry, evening wear, bridal gowns and custom clothing from standard stock ranges, limited editions, vintage pieces and new arrivals.

Use this for inspiration and design help... have a look at my other blogs for pictures of made items and frockumentaries.

Feel free to message me if you have questions because it will take a while to get through all the fabrics, photograph and post them especially as I have new stock in all the time and I am REALLY busy in the studio.

Get hold of me at:


boundbyobsession@live.co.uk